My dreams written down. What is my unconscious trying to tell me?

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dream Images From Some Weeks Ago

I can't really remember my dream from last night, but these are some images and symbols that seemed important to me in recent dreams:

(1) The Beast

A hulking great ape of a man is sat down in the laboratory. He seems like a human gorilla (a hairless gorilla with a human face), very similar to Mr.Hyde from the motion picture "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." He has a ripping musculature, and looks very dangerous - just as an uncaged wild animal may seem. But I am not afraid, I'm in awe of him. He has jet black hair, I think. My eye is drawn to him because his face seems distressed and sweat is flowing in a torrent all over his body, as if he were under a running shower head. I notice the streaming water more than anything else. The doctors have syringes in his left arm (the arm visible to me), although they are not stuck "in" as much as slid under the skin - I know because I can see the flesh of his arm tent up as the beast-man is scaredly struggling. There are four needles in his arm, in a square formation, each needle forms a corner of the square, the needle points all point inward in an "x" like manner. (What I suppose is) Sweat continues to gush down him.

(2) Stones from the Cellar

The girl and me are in the cellar of the home I grew up in. I'm not comfortable down there at all, and am in a rush to get up the stairs and out. But I have to do something first. The girl is not scared at all, and waits for me at the foot of the cellar stairs, as if to say "what are you worried about?", whilst I dally on the steps - choosing between escaping or doing what she wants. I am in one of the cellar rooms and have to take four round disc like stones up stairs and out the cellar. I carry them one at a time - not remembering anything past ascending the stairs; as I reach that point, I'm back in the cellar room getting the next stone. The stones are grey, rough, coaster sized and shaped. They look like something a caveman might have made, very imprecise and basic, dusty. I have the last stone at the top of cellar stairs, look down, the girl is waiting for me at the bottom - I know she wants me to come down again, it should be clear to me now that there is nothing to be afraid of. But I'm afraid. I shut the cellar door. I wake up.

(3) Picture at the Museum

The girl/woman (I can't distinguish which) and me are at the museum. We come, or she has shown me, to a huge painting - twice my height tall, twice my height wide, square - in an intricate and classic frame. The picture is a circular explosion of red and yellow colors - like a frozen image of a bomb at the instant of detonation. The paint is roughly daubed, I can see the texture of it. We look silently at the picture together. Although it is a huge and impressive work, it seems a little disappointing to me: the picture tries to depict an explosion, yet is very static - in a museum, not moving, the dried paint daubs, etc. The dream ends.

(4) Red Lettered Message

It feels as though I'm lying in a hospital ward, but it's my room. I know because the bed is a mattress on the floor. I see my desk in front of me, and I see a colleague from my former work. He was a creative director. He's walking on crutches, I see a close-up of his swollen toe. The woman appears next to me on the right, laying in bed as I am, propped up against the pillows against the wall. She's middle aged, but I can't make out her features. She smiles and talks to me, although I can't now remember what she said. I remember I spoke to her in very formal Japanese, which betrays our intimacy, though she is not offended. She asks me something about "Akagi" and I say, deferently, "ah, Akagi-san." She points her red nailed finger to a page in the baseball almanac I have in my hands. The page appears like a diary, or ruled, ordered, page. I see the word "Akagi" in red lettering. The dream ends.
{ "Akagi" could be a compound Japanese word: the combination of "red" ("aka") and "skill" ("gi"); or it could refer to the title of a Japanese Manga story about a character "Akagi" who gambles with his own blood, siphoned off by a drip, at Mahjong. These seem the only possible interpretations of "Akagi" to me at the moment }

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo

Likes: writing

Dislikes: those things where you find yourself writing in third-person like someone else wrote the bio on you; but we all know how this works...